Tuesday, March 31, 2009

One Crazy Weekend

This weekend was a wild, crazy chaotic fun time. We had Makayla, Ian and Payden for the weekend and it was such a good but, loud and crazy time. Put it this way, we had four dogs (3 of our own and Milo), 4 kids (1 one of our own and 3 not), 2 cats, Steven and myself in a 1700 square foot home. It was a zoo literally! I could have sold tickets to the weekends events. Let's focus on Saturday afternoon.

The kids arrived around 12pm on Saturday. They were very excited to come because we were going roller-skating. Did you ever think when you were a kid roller-skating would be something that kids didn't even know what it was? So weird! I think back to my days at Happy Wheels. Birthday parties in the side room and going off to skate to the happening music, dark lights and the flashing disco ball in the middle. It was like a middle school dance but, better because there were boys you didn't know your whole life there AND you were rolling skating. I could never roller skate backwards so I always had to hold hands and roller skate with a good skater so they could go backward. Oh, the days at Happy Wheels! Talking with the girls in the bathroom about boys, sweaty hand-holding fun! Anyway, I digress as usual.

So, we drive to Happy Wheels and on the way there, the kids are talking. First, the girls were asking what roller skates looked like. I told them the one's that used to be there were an ugly brown color with orange wheels. The girls both said in unison "Eww!" While Ian said "Cool, I hope I get the ugliest pair!" "Why would you want the ugliest pair Ian?" I replied. Ian says "because if I have an ugly pair no girls will like me and want to marry me. I'm not marrying a girl!" I said prompting him on "Are you going to marry a boy?" he said "Yes, I'm marrying Milo!" So funny.

However, 10 minutes later I hear them chatting in the back and Ian turns to Makayla and says in his goofy voice we know so well "Oooohh pretty...I want to kiss you!" I'm thinking to myself, yeah right he doesn't want a girl to like him! Makayla gives him one of her nasty looks just like her mom does and I can't help but surpress a giggle. I can tell though she's slightly intrigued so, I'm thinking, those kids are NOT spending ANY time alone!! Remember last time, Cammie and Christina?????

Well, Payden turns to Ian and says "Ian you can kiss ME if you want. Really! You can kiss me, like for real!" Oh god! Ian wasn't interested though, thank god!

A follow-up to Makayla's dirty look to Ian about the kiss. Later, she asked me where they were going to sleep and I said they could sleep downstairs on the fold out couch or upstairs in the baby's room on the floor. Makayla says, "I don't care. I just want to sleep wherever Ian is sleeping." I think we have a romance in the making. They sat next to each other all weekend. Sharing the recliner and everything. They were really cute.

So, we get to the roller-skating rink and Steven takes the kids out first while I stay with. It was so hilarious! The place looks EXACTLY the same. Same blue rug with swirls of color, same blue rink, same disco ball, everything. Even same brown roller-skates with orange wheels much to the dismay of Makayla and Payden. Ian was happy though. Steven takes the kids out and I laughed the whole time (all on video by the way). Ian was falling all over the place, Makayla and Payden were pushing themselves using the bar to hang on to for leverage. Steven was doing ok for not going in like 20 years.

When Steven gets back I'm dying to get out. I felt that old thrill and couldn't wait to get out there. I knew there would be no backwards skating holding hand action but, still I wanted to skate, feel the wind in my hair, see the disco ball. So, after Steven FINALLY relieved me to go, he was having too much fun too, I get my skates on and stand up and realize, this is definitely not like riding a bike and the thrill is gone and basically, I really SUCK! I was never good but, now I'm really bad.

So, now is my turn. I can't even help the kids because I could barely stand. I'm falling all over the place hanging on the bar for my life. I fall and smash my face on the bar while YES, on camera and then the piece de resistance. I get to the end of the circle and realize the bar ends! I forgot that part and I'm forced to skate without the aid of the bar across the opening where people get in and out. I hung on to the end pretty desperately for a while little kids look up at me like "lady what is wrong with you?" I finally let go and I skate slowly over to Steven all the while he is video taping me and suddenly I lose my balance and I go down, HARD, face first 1/2 on the blue rink and 1/2 on the 40 year old blue carpet with my shirt riding up and my love handles hanging out. Oh the horror! Which half landed on the nasty carpet you ask? Of course, my face! Steven is laughing so hard and continuing to tape while I crawl over to him begging for him to help me and laughing so hard at myself and YES, it is all on tape. Steven kept playing it and rewinding and playing and rewinding all weekend! Pain in my butt!

So, after 45 minutes thekids not Steven (well Ian stopped after 5 minutes and sat eyeing the skee-ball and video games and in his words "dreaming about playing skee-ball." Think he wanted a quarter?), wanted to go and as we are pulling out of the parking lot, Payden turns and says "Can we go to Chuck E Cheese now?"

3 comments:

  1. I had commented on your blog previously and wanted to convey that you have a raw and natural writing style. I wondered if you ever considered doing this professionally? Your work reminds me of the more recent Sophie Kinsella or Helen Fielding when she first started her career.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just have to love kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is hilarious Amy. Steven is such a monkey. I know you'll get him back with the camera.

    ReplyDelete